If you are the type of person where I ask you “why don’t you go to the gym, or workout” and you reply with “I don’t have time”, this is the solution for you. This excuse comes up a lot and not to say people honestly aren’t busy but people also aren’t around the clock being productive otherwise we wouldn’t have people who are unhealthy. You might work 2 jobs and go to school but that doesn’t mean you can’t stay active doing so and it doesn’t mean you have to go to a gym to be active. Now, in a perfect little world, I would want all of us to be a member at a gym and use the facilities but in this not so perfect world called reality it doesn’t happen & when it does, it doesn’t happen to last very long. Ladies and gentlemen let me introduce you to making time to stay active:
- Park furthest away from your destination (school building, work parking lot, grocery store, dentist office, downtown, ect)
- When you go grocery shopping, walk the whole store; no matter what you need, challenge yourself to walk the whole store
- take the stairs instead of the elevator
- stretch in the morning, and before bed
- walk to your destination if you are within walking distance (honestly walking distance depends on what you are willing to walk)
- Ride a bike to your destination
- If you have kids, take them to the park, walk the neighborhood, play some sports with them, be active with them
- college students, take the longer of the routes to your classroom
- If you are on break at work, or school; walk the perimeter of your building inside or outside
- stand more, and sit less
- Join a club/sport
- do more chores around the house
- use workout videos at home
- sit on a stability ball versus a chair
- shop inside the mall instead of online shopping
- walk your downtown area
- make vacations around being able to stay active (camping, hiking, skiing, swimming, ect)
- do a charity event (marathon, 5K, 10K, ect)
Now these are just some ideas to help get you started and I wasn’t going to make a novel of a list of things that one can do to stay active without attending a gym. It’s very obvious that the majority of these things you may already do and guess what? YOU HAVE TIME FOR THEM! so this means you actually do have time but you don’t realize it. The end result should be you moving more and sitting less. If you work 2 jobs and go to school full time, that means you have more leverage than the stay at home mom because you are constantly on the move; congrats! if you are a stay at home mom that means you have more leverage than the working college students because you have someone to watch over and keep up with; which means you should be constantly moving; congrats! (See how I did that).
I welcome people to add more to this list, because I want to see it grow daily and be more of a 100+ ideas versus my very small list of ideas. The reason behind me not adding more, is because I don’t want to do all the thinking for you, be creative! life is what you make it, and if you know you are the type who never seems to have time for anything; then maybe you need to find time to read this and change that or maybe you are doing exactly what you should but don’t realize it and hopefully this motivates you to continue. I hate to seem too snarky, but these excuses become issues and issues become problems and problems are left as problems because no one wants to fix “their” problems, they want others too… stand up, adjust your pants and take some time evaluate your life choices and routines and add some movement to your life.
Being productive = Staying active
Add me, comment, Share, like, reblog, whatever it might be. Hopefully this will help motivate the ones who need it and give clarity to others. I want to help you help yourself be the best you can be! If you ever have questions or comments, or concerns you are always welcome to contact me! Thanks for reading.
Your blogger Shay-lon