Tons of people don’t really understand what it means to eat healthy and what it means to eat nutritious foods. I know sometimes I will talk to people about their eating habits and they believe what they eat and how often they eat is considered healthy but when I tell them they are going about things in the wrong way and its causing the opposite effect (gaining weight) then they seem very shocked and surprised. Now if you are wanting to gain weight, eating healthy is still something you should be doing; but this is especially for those of us who may think we have the right idea but really don’t know and base our eating habits on diets and fads and here say. I think the problem with eating healthier is everyone’s definition of healthy eating is different; which is why discussing this is very hard sometimes because not everyone eats the same foods nor eat at the same time and not everyone is open to trying something new. It’s a habit that we have to instill in people, in ourselves and we have to experiment to get it right otherwise we will fail and not want to try again. I have struggled trying to decide what I should eat and what I shouldn’t and how much should I eat and what time should I eat and it all came down to one thing… WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY FOR ME TO EAT HEALTHIER? this is really the question you should be asking yourself because eating healthier is also a journey like physical activity, you don’t just decide tomorrow I am going to eat carrots and cucumbers for lunch instead of bologna, you have to have this mentality and you have to decide what is the easiest way about going about this so I don’t quit. Down below I will give you some ideas to consider when you want to eat healthier and decide to take this challenge. I believe knowledge can be power and if you take the time to research foods and the myplate and nutrition you will find some good stuff.
- Good veggies & good fruits. Sure we hear all the time how veggies and fruits are the best for us but not all veggies and fruits are particularly that great for you if you don’t know how much of it you should be eating and not aware of what it contains that is good for you.
- meats are NOT bad for you, vegans and vegetarians will disagree because you have a bias opinion on animal cruelty and while I don’t like seeing animals being hurt either; I appreciate my poultry and red meat very much. Not to mention eating animals contains tons of resources that alternatives may not be able to give us. Now if you are vegan or vegetarian that is fine, but don’t preach to people who enjoy meats because honestly we appreciate our greens just like you but we also enjoy eating chicken and cows the same.. & being vegan and or vegetarian is not the healthiest form of eating (there are other ways to be healthy without having to take away foods) I appreciate those of you who are vegan and vegetarian though and if it works for you, DO IT!
- whole wheat (although I will be the first to admit I don’t eat wheat, so if you are like and don’t eat wheat, then I will have a post discussing this)
- eat less sodium rich foods
- water! drink tons of water, and stay hydrated
- have a routine, try to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner at the same times each day
- don’t skip a meal thinking it will help you lose weight (it will hurt your metabolism)
- breakfast is important when you wake up, truly the most important meal
- snack often between meals and snack healthier
- a salad is actually all carbs pretty much, so just eating a salad isn’t always going to “cut it”, it is good to eat salads but being on a strict, eat salads and nothing else isn’t going to give you everything your body needs.
- Sure you have dairy products but I have found out i am lactose intolerant and have some bloating when I drink milk so I have decided to quit drinking milk for the month of march to see if anything changes. So be aware of your intolerants and know how your body reacts to them and you find out it is the reason for why you haven’t lost weight, bloating, diarrhea , ect
- Fish is good for you, but each fish offers something different and some fish offers better benefits , read up on this
- anything your deficient in, make sure to find something that can help that
Don’t take this whole list to heart, things vary for each person. Like I said eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to go vegan or vegetarian or skip meals, eating healthy is simply eating what provides good nutrients in your body and provides energy for you. Eating healthy comes in multiple forms, you have to decide which way to go about this and stick to it. Thanks for reading, please comment, like, share, and reblog.
Your blogger Shay-lon