Working out at the gym alone, or in general sometimes sucks. I know the feeling because I have been to the gym plenty of times where I am working out alone and I look around and almost everybody else seems to have a partner with them. Having support is important and many times is our motivation to do something for ourselves but it always sucks when you have to go alone and let me tell you going alone can be the biggest life lesson. I am not fan of being around tons of people because I have anxiety and it spikes when I am around a crowd of people and don’t know them, it spikes when I feel self conscious about what I am wearing or how I look, it spikes when I am lifting weights and have people watch me, it spikes when I am watching myself in the mirror and paying attention to all my flaws. BUT, it doesn’t and hasn’t stopped me from going to the gym by myself (yet) and hopefully it never will because in this fitness industry that I am going to school for, I can’t allow it to. I know having support has it perks and trust me it can be fun being able to workout with someone who is there for the same reasons you are; luckily these days I have gotten my mom to tag along with me and she enjoys it, my aunt comes sometimes too and it’s good because we can all workout but do our separate things as well. Down below I will have a list of ideas for you if you are someone who doesn’t like to workout alone.
- Ask family, friends, coworkers, church members, classmates
- bring music with you, listening to music always helps me forget that I am alone at the gym, it’s my way of getting away from people and just relaxing
- talk to people at the gym about classes, meet people in those classes and make them your new gym buddies
- advertise on your social media to see if anyone else attends the same gym and wants to go workout with you
- work on self confidence
- work with a personal trainer
- run with your dogs outside
- everyone is at the gym for the same reasons (fitness and happiness) keep this in mind when you feel intimidated
- bring a tablet and read while you are on treadmill
Being at the gym alone isn’t bad and if anything it has helped me conquer so many things and work on myself in new ways. I have felt more confident walking inside the gym without thinking about how others see me, I listen to my music all the time, I make small talk with people if they smile at me or say something to me, I have ventured off on my own to try new exercises. I think going to the gym alone has its perks honestly; sometimes I go to the gym to get something off my chest, to take out anger, to escape and having someone with me can sometimes be annoying when I want to be left alone. Overall, I think this excuse is more or less a way to say ” I am scared” and you shouldn’t be scared to be by yourself when you are doing something for yourself. You don’t have to have a buddy to make changes, you don’t need a buddy to feel good about yourself. Having someone there is fun but sometimes we have to learn to conquer things on our own.
Please share, like, comment, reblog
Your blogger Shay-lon