“I am who I am and that is all that I will ever be” -Shay-lon
So I have decided to update my “about me” since life has changed a bit since graduating and now I have new goals in mind (somewhat) and not to mention I feel like I want to make this more formal than the first one. To begin with my name is Shay-lon, most people feel more comfortable calling me Shay and that is fine by me as long as you know “Shay” isn’t my full first name. In the beginning I was in school for exercise science and graduating in May and well it is May and I have graduated in exercise science! I am going to continue my education for another year (fingers crossed) it won’t take longer than this in exercise science. Then.. I will go where life takes me. I reside in Ohio and have been residing here for the majority of my life up until after my ninth grade year when I had moved to Texas for 2 years then moved to Colorado for another 4 years then coming back to Ohio to the same town I have grown up in. I don’t like this town so I will be moving to a larger city once my education is finally through. I am going to be certified in personal training by the end of this summer if not sooner than this is my hopes and I will be my own contractor and work inside a gym possibly.. depending on the situation and how well it works around college. I will be taking the ACSM certification, since I already have all the books I need to study for it.
My first taste of fitness and health came at a young age, I have always been one to play sports and want to stay productive. I started playing sports from the time I could walk all the way to college and sometime beyond that (I play summer and fall league softball right now). My major in college wasn’t always exercise science, previous to this, my major was physical therapy and I was dead set this was want I wanted to do. Well during my college years it became very stressful because I wasn’t accepted into the program due to me being 5- however many points off and it seemed like I wasted 2 years waiting to be accepted (bummer) but I always knew I needed a plan B for when I didn’t make it in. I researched other majors that seemed to be of interest but one stood out to me the most because of the classes and at that time I was in an “unhealthy” stage in my life. What I mean by this is I had gained weight to the point where it was very saddening and I was throwing myself away. I weighed 175 and was very unhappy with myself but didn’t want to do anything about it until my family mentioned it and helped me to realize how different I was. It was also because of exercise science I decided to hop on a more healthy way of life and did what I needed to do, lose weight. I lost 25 pounds in about a month.. and was set on changing my eating and exercising more often than I had. I struggled with diets, fads, cardio vs weight training, what I wanted my ideal body to be, and how I was going to get there, and constantly found myself comparing my body to other females. I had a real issue with who I was inside and outside and it was plain to see at times that I wasn’t happy; because I didn’t know who I was and what made me happy.
When I started the exercise science program, I was working two jobs and it was fairly stressful because I was so exhausted most days and other days I was in a bad mood because of my jobs. Class was my escape besides home because what we did in class really opened my eyes to what it means to be “fit” and healthy” and dedicating my life to my studies also made it easier to dedicate time to my physique. During these classes, I was actually working out and lifting weights, it took ONE class for me to realize who I wanted to be and what made me happy, it took ONE class for me to decide how I wanted to live my life and who I wanted to surround myself with (not saying I was with the wrong crowd) but hanging with like-minded fitness individuals was a bonus! From then on, I was all about fitness and health and I found myself making it my everyday conversation and being more and more engaged in class discussions and feeling more and more confident in my major and myself. I went from going to the gym every once in a while to going to the gym 3-4 days a week to now I go pretty much 5 days a week in the mornings and Saturday morning CrossFit class if I am off work then add softball season and my days are very productive and busy.
I started blogging sometime in December due to my professor bringing it to my attention and sharing with me how to go about presenting myself to the community so that I am able to bring in clients, revenue, and stand out. This particular professor really pushed me to believe in my capabilities and strive for more so that I can deliver more information, have more experience and gain more perspective and achieve more success. To be honest, he made me want to work twice as hard to make twice as much of an impression on the world and he knew my goals and why but he wanted to make sure I focused on getting there, I thank him for all he has invested in me and I am thankful for what I have learned in all his classes, and emails. My blogs are a replica of what I want to teach, discuss, share and give to people & how I plan on training my own clients. As of now, I currently blog on 3 sites and share them on all my social media sites (facebook, twitter, instagram, google plus, etc) and I have one blogging site currently with Adsense to make a bit of profit on the side. It is hard work and can be time consuming but I love blogging because I love networking and sharing what I know with all of you. This summer, hopefully sometime in May or beginning of June I will start making YouTube videos that discuss my blogs, fitness/health and I might have some randomness in there so be on the look out. I also am hoping to have a book published by the end of this year or at least started so that I can reach more people and make a name for myself locally and build myself within the fitness industry. I will continue blogging and right now I signed up to blog for “Livestrong” and signed up to be an affiliate for Amazon just to see what it can do for me and how it can help me in the long term. I am still learning about blogging and what makes a good blog a good read.
With all this being said, I will bullet point some random facts/information about me so that you know the tidbits and any questions you may for me, you can leave me a comment or email me.
- I have two siblings
- I am 24 years old (March 22nd)
- I do IIFYM
- I meal plan
- I squat 200 lbs
- my bench press sucks lol
- I love weight training and hate cardio
- I prefer HIIT when it doubt, try it out
- I am not a huge fan of TRX because I am awkward when I use it but I like that it is versatile
- I graduated with honors, deans list and have 3 letters of recommendations (one being from the Dean)
- I like wine over beer anyday
- I am very sarcastic and comical
- I love to dance and used to sing when I took it more seriously
- Never been out of the country
- I weigh myself hardly ever but last time I checked I was around 150
- I am 5″8
- I LOVE talking fitness/health
- I eat food & love it
- I spend too much money
- The majority of my closet is fitness apparel
- Personal trainer in the making, coming soon to a town near you
- I love helping people feel good about who they are and reaching goals
- I am kinda nerdy sometimes
- I don’t like fast food but I love eating at pubs, local restaurants, etc
- I am single <— this really shouldn’t matter but some people like to know..
- I like what I like 😉
- Not a huge chocolate fan..
- I love to cook
- Yes that is a recent picture of me.. like so recent it was taken maybe 5 days ago
- I am kinda a badass but no one knows this yet.. kinda a secret I am sharing with all of you
- I drink water.. and hate it lol
- Supplements are cool. I take aminos and will be starting whey protein soon and I take some recovery supplements
- I did my clinical hours at an University as a strength and conditioning aid and got a shirt that says “strength and conditioning coach” or something like that..?
- Once I am certified .. I will be available to take on clients without the chance of being being sued lol
- Went to my first Arnold classic this year [amazing experience]
- I am starting up my cleanse again in June.
- I love my followers, all of you Rock!
- the closest thing to me as a best friend is my bed 🙂 [ I love my friends though] ❤
Okay so I think that is enough for now but I am more than okay with all of you asking me questions about me or about my blogs or whatever comes to mind. Thanks for reading about me!