Today I am going to talk about building our immune system, because it is important to have a strong immune system. There are an endless list of things that can compromise your immune system (i.e illness, diseases) but it is very important to do our best at making sure we keep it “fighting” and strong. The purpose of the immune system is to keep infectious microorganisms out of the body and destroy any infectious microorganisms that invade the body. Many people do not realize how with age our immune system is more susceptible to become weaker; which in turn means we have to learn to take care of it while we are young and able so that we have a better chance as we hit an older age to have a stronger immune system. Now, many people take herbals and supplements and medicines that may help their immune system, but you need to be careful when you take them because a lot of times they may have weaken other things or might not do what it is intended to do and have adverse reactions. One of the best things we can do to build our immune systems in my opinion is to watch what we eat and to stay healthy, down below I am going to list everything that is known to help boost the immune system.
- You need and should get enough sleep. When you do not get enough sleep at night, it can lead to higher stress hormones and inflammation of the body.
- Regular, moderate exercise. Exercise helps with many, many things and one of those things is it helps to fight infection in your body.
- Eating the right type of foods and eating other foods in moderation. Eating or drinking too much sugar can “curb immune system cells” that help kill bacteria. Instead you should eat more fruits and veggies that are high in nutrients and Vitamin C and Vitamin E. (berries, citrus fruits, kiwi, apples, red grapes, kale, onions, spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, some types of mushrooms, garlic and chicken noodle soup are some to name a few.
- Balance your stress, when you are constantly stressed out it can cause your immune system to weaken. If you are someone who is constantly stressed or put into stressful situations then you should find ways to counter it (i.e mediation, slow down, talk with others, and exercise)
- Being too isolated and away from people can cause a weak immune system, you should want to have close relationships with people and have somewhat of a social life if possible.
- Laughing is said to help with the immune system, since it helps with your stress hormones.
- Vitamin C veggies and fruits are important to have and you should make them a regular thing that is part of your meal planning and/or eating schedule. Leafy veggies and citrus fruits.
- Vitamin E is another great nutrient to help boost your immune system, Almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, spinach and broccoli are all full of it.
- Vitamin B6, such as bananas, lean chicken breast, cold water fish, baked potatoes, chickpeas
- Vitamin A, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, squash are just some to name a few
- Vitamin D, Fatty fish, milk, orange juice and some cereals
- Folic Acid, beans and peas have tons of folic acid, some grains may have it too (read the labels)
- Iron, lean poultry, seafood, beans, broccoli and kale.
- Selenium, Garlic, broccoli, sardines, tuna, brazil nuts and barley all have Selenium.
- Zinc, oysters, crab, lean meats and poultry, baked beans, chickpeas and yogurts.