Alright so I am sure all of you know someone or have yourself done a detox/cleanse. Although our bodies naturally detox itself, it isn’t a bad idea to improve the process as long as we know what we are doing. The important factor about cleansing in my opinion is knowing when to cleanse, how to cleanse and if everyone should cleanse. If you are someone who cleanses/detoxes regularly, I would love to hear from you what type of cleanses you have done, how often do you cleanses and your overall opinion about detoxes/cleanses. I know for myself, I didn’t know much about cleansing until March when I attended the Arnold Classic and my friend explained to me what it was and recommended a product for me. I didn’t actually start until May and for awhile my detox pill did nothing for me, I noticed no changes; I decided to up the dose and still didn’t notice much of a difference. My pill is 14 days straight then a month off, and redo but I haven’t been doing a great job keeping up with it, I have skipped around (which could be why I had no results), although I am thinking about trying a different detox method. For starters we need to know what it means to ‘detox’?
A process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances.
why should one cleanse/detox
- Remove toxins from the body
- Prevent chronic disease
- Enhance immune system functioning
- lose weight
- slow premature aging
- improve quality of life
- increase energy
- Improve skin quality
- Mental and emotional clarity
- Restore balance to the body’s systems
Cons of detox/cleanse
- A sudden change in your diet can cause gas, diarrhea and bloating as your body adjust
- Not always recommended for teens and pregnant women
- Not intended for long term weight loss
- may be allergic to the herbs
- some may not have proper nutrients and/or nutrient deficiency
- poor nutrition can lead to muscle loss, fatigue and irritability
Types of cleanses/detox
- A colon cleanse
- A liver cleanse (not recommended because most of the products cause more harm)
- A master cleanse (lemon water, maple syrup, cayenne pepper with detox tea) for 10 days and nothing else. Before trying this cleanse, get the fact and know what it entails.
- The 10 day green smoothie cleanse
- A juice cleanse
- Tea cleanse
Now there are many more cleanses available, some of which may work better than others or are more safe than others, these are just a few of the more popular ones. I think as long as you do them safely and understand that none of them are meant for long term weight loss, they can be of much help to our bodies. Everyone should keep in mind that cleanses and detoxes have rules to follow and should be followed so that no one ends up in a bad situation, don’t sacrifice your health to lose weight. If you are someone who does detoxes or cleanses, I would love to hear from you. Tell me what kind, how often and your opinion.
Your fitness blogger,