Fitness enthusiast and gym goers, I wanted to introduce you to another beginner’s machine based workout that you will find at most if not all gyms. This particular exercise is very simple and doesn’t take much to learn how to use it, I posted a video up top for those who would like a video demonstration but will also post the “how to” portion in writing so that you can read the steps and use proper form and technique.
This is not necessarily a go to exercise for me, but when and if I need a lower body warm up or want a steady workout regimen, this is one of the workouts that hit the spot. Normally I don’t push for machine workouts only, depending on the client this could be a helpful exercise and it does work wonders if you use it correctly to match your needs. I find that many older adults make good use of this, not saying the younger crowd would not benefit (because you can and will) but many older adults to seniors tend to use this machine, along with others and I think that is a solid idea; especially if you are beginner and not sure where to start.
This particular exercise is one that does use isolation, so it does not use the full ROM that other exercises could very well do, so if you do use this exercise, also try to add some exercises to your regimen that use a full ROM that are safe and are capable of using so that you can work others muscle groups as well.
How Do I do this exercise?:
- Firstly, you will need to adjust the machine lever to fit your height, then will need to sit on the machine with your back against the cushioned part of the machine.
- Place the back of your lower leg to the padded lever, then secure the lap pad against your thighs (this is very important), grasp the side handles on the machine as you point your toes. Ensure that your body is straight (not slouched) and make sure your legs are straight as well.
- As you are exhaling, pull the machine lever as far as possible to the back of your thighs, you will need to keep your torso stationary.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
So as you can see, the steps are very short and to the point. Specifically this machine is used to work the hamstring muscles,but like I said, it is an isolated movement, so you will need and want to make sure that you add other aspects your workout in order to get more out of your workout in the long run. I would highly suggest this workout for all ages and make sure to load it appropriately, do not do more than what you can handle, use proper form/technique when using any machine, and be controlled. There is no need to be super fast when doing this exercise (I see speed demons flying through this exercise). Thanks for reading, feel free to follow, share, comment!
Your fitness blogger,