When it comes to injuries… I am sure most if not all of you have heard of an ACL tear. If you are not completely sure of what an ACL tear is, then you have come to right place because I plan on explaining it.
First comes First.. What is an ACL tear?
- A torn anterior cruciate ligament in the knee.
How does one tear their ACL?
- Most prominent in sporting activities
- It can occur when your foot is planted on the ground and force strikes it while your leg is straight or slightly bent
- It can occur when changing direction rapidly
- or when landing from a jump
Oh yeah, you remember now.. athletes who have torn their ACL end up gone for the majority of the season, right?
- Yes, this is quite correct. Considering it will usually end in surgery and takes a while for recovery.
Common Sports in which we see ACL Tears?
- Basketball, football, soccer & tennis
Common signs that you might have an ACL Tear?
- Swelling, possible popping sound, unable to bend knee, weak leg muscles
- Although everyone is different will sometimes show different signs (more or less)
What is recovery time during an ACL tear?
- They say typically 6-9 months .. but again this could be estimated up or down
For more information about a torn ACL, please check this website out: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00549
Let me know in the comments if any of you have experiences a Torn ACL, and what it was like for you. As always share, like and follow. For more injuries to be aware of, click: here
Oh and specialist (Doctors, Physical therapist, etc) please feel free to leave any comments or helpful tips.
Your Fitness Blogger,