I have a feeling.. This is going to be a heated discussion! No, but seriously, I think this will be a great discussion for all of you to engage in.
For beginners, let me start by saying that I prefer white rice over brown rice and I eat more white than I do brown rice. Weird? probably considering people tell me all the time why I shouldn’t eat white rice and instead should consume brown rice- but I am rebel without a cause and choose to go about my everyday eating white rice. Does this mean , I am bias? no, I just like one more than the other but I will eat either of them to be honest depending on the dish. I don’t want anyone getting any bright ideas and think that I will try to pull you over to the dark side; but I just might do it! LOL muahahahahah (evil laugh)
- Do you prefer white rice or brown rice? – or is there another kind of rice you prefer more than the two options
- name a recipe you enjoy eating/cooking that either has white rice or brown rice (or you may share the URL to your blog page with it)
- If you don’t eat rice, what kind of things do you eat in place of it?
Brown Rice: (Keep in mind that each brand has their own nutritional value for brown rice)
- Rich in selenium (known to reduce the risk of common diseases)
- High in magnesium
- healthy fats
- Helps with bowel regularity – because of the amount of fiber
- considered “whole grain” – hasn’t lost its wholeness through the refinement process
- High in anti-oxidants
- Excellent food choice for those with diabetes – helps stabilize blood sugar levels
- High in manganese
- Fills your stomach faster
White Rice:(Keep in mind that each brand has their own nutritional value for white rice)
- Truth of the matter is, white rice is fine in moderation. While it might not have as many health benefits as brown rice, it doesn’t mean it is all bad for you. White rice is considered easier to digest because it doesn’t contain as high of phytic acid as brown rice.
- White rice still has some decent amount of potassium
- no cholesterol
- typically higher calories
- high in the glycemic index (not a good thing)
So perhaps I lost the battle to bring you over to the dark side and perhaps I need to watch my moderation (which I do) and make sure to eat more brown than white when necessary BUT this doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy some white rice.. I still can and so can you. If you have anything you would like to add to this, feel free. Keep in mind some of the better kinds of rice are the sprouted rice because you get more of the actual minerals that you miss out on when they are sprouted. Thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment, like, share, and follow.
Your Fitness Blogger,