Today I found myself doing of the many exercises that I do not like having to do, and that is mountain climbers. However, my program calls for them and I will not deny the power mountain climbers have when it comes to cardio and endurance training. I find that this exercise depending on the speed or the length of time you do them, can really challenge that cardiovascular system and not to mention builds some strength in those legs as well. I will be posting my workouts from yesterday and today so you have an idea as to what I have been up to.
So without further ado, MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS!
How to perform mountain climbers:
- Begin in the push up position, weight supported by your hands and toes. Flexing the knee and hip, bring one leg until the knee is under the hip. Starting position.
- Explosively reverse the positions of your legs, extending the bent leg until the leg is straight and supported by the toe. Bring the other foot with the hip and knee flexed.
- Repeat for the recommended repetitions
What Muscles Are being effected:
- Increases core strength
- Improves cardiovascular endurance
My overall thoughts on this particular exercise is, it looks easy and super simple but it does a whole lot – it definitely will challenge your endurance and cardiovascular system and you will feel it. While I am not a fan of this exercise, I recommend implementing in your workouts, you will see some good results from it. I would recommend talking with a medical doctor if you have prior injuries or conditions that could prohibit you from performing this movement
Let me know in the comment section, if you do this exercise.
Happy Monday FitFam,
I love working my abdominal muscles, I love being creative and finding new ways to really activate my upper, lower and oblique muscles. I know a few people who find ab workouts to be boring or not as engaging, but I think many of those people I find only do the standard crunches and sit ups. There are so many exercises for the abdominal muscles, and today I am going to introduce you to at least one but in future post I will introduce you to more.
Have any of you heard of the “V-Up” ? Have you performed it? if so, let me know what you think of this exercise and your experience with it.
What Muscles Does This Exercise Work:
- Strengthen back muscles
- abdominal muscles
- A little bit of the obliques as well
How Does One Perform this exercise?
You can watch the video in the following link above, or follow these steps:
- Lie on your back on the floor
- Extend arms behind your head, palms face the ceiling
- keep feet together and toes pointed toward the ceiling
- Lift the legs up (keeping them straight)
- Raise the upper body off the floor – reaching for your toes
- Engage and squeeze the abdominal muscles as you reach for your toes
- lower back down to the starting position
Would I recommend for beginners?
Personally this exercise requires some flexibility and someone who is not very flexible may have issues with it but with practice may be able to acquire this movement more smoothly. I know for me, this exercise was difficult at first and I was all over the place with it, but focusing and really engaging the muscles, while going at a slower pace will be helpful for beginners.
If you are someone with prior injuries or conditions that could possibly prohibit you from doing this movement, I would speak with a professional before continuing with this movement.
I hope all of you will give this exercise and chance, and let me know how you did!