Normally, I would be holding dumbbells or a barbell but I made a point to do them without extra weight to demonstrate the movement for beginners. I don’t like having to do lunges but I will admit that they are a great functional workout and because there is such a variety of them, it can always be changed to your liking and fitness level. As always, down below I will share how to do them properly and the muscles that are effected.
Feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more workouts and nutrition.
- Feet shoulder width apart and hands placed on hips
- Step forward with one leg, making sure to flex the knees to drop the hips. Decent until the rear knee comes close to touching the ground, posture should remain upright and front knee stays above the front foot
- drive through the heel of your lead foot, extend both knees to raise yourself back up.
- Step forward with the rear foot, repeating the movement with the opposite leg
What muscles am I working on:
- lower calf muscles
- back muscles acts as stabilizer
- abdominal muscles act as a stabilizer
It is important to have strong core for lunges in order to keep your form. Many people struggle with lunges so if you are someone who does, start without using any weights and focus on form and technique. Lunges are a great functional exercise, much like squats. If you are more advanced you can use dumbbells or a barbell for added weight.
How many of you like doing lunges? any favorite types of lunges (which I will talk about in other blog post)
Today I found myself doing of the many exercises that I do not like having to do, and that is mountain climbers. However, my program calls for them and I will not deny the power mountain climbers have when it comes to cardio and endurance training. I find that this exercise depending on the speed or the length of time you do them, can really challenge that cardiovascular system and not to mention builds some strength in those legs as well. I will be posting my workouts from yesterday and today so you have an idea as to what I have been up to.
So without further ado, MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS!
How to perform mountain climbers:
- Begin in the push up position, weight supported by your hands and toes. Flexing the knee and hip, bring one leg until the knee is under the hip. Starting position.
- Explosively reverse the positions of your legs, extending the bent leg until the leg is straight and supported by the toe. Bring the other foot with the hip and knee flexed.
- Repeat for the recommended repetitions
What Muscles Are being effected:
- Increases core strength
- Improves cardiovascular endurance
My overall thoughts on this particular exercise is, it looks easy and super simple but it does a whole lot – it definitely will challenge your endurance and cardiovascular system and you will feel it. While I am not a fan of this exercise, I recommend implementing in your workouts, you will see some good results from it. I would recommend talking with a medical doctor if you have prior injuries or conditions that could prohibit you from performing this movement
Let me know in the comment section, if you do this exercise.
Thank you to all of you who have been very supportive of my during this challenge and cheering me on here and on my social media accounts & YouTube channel, ya’ll are awesome and I appreciate it very much.
This Month I will not be doing any challenges myself since I am doing this 12 week program but in the future, I will have more, so keep an eye out and still subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow my social media accounts because I will posting videos and pictures more regularly. Thank you!
Your Fitness Blogger,
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel & Follow my social media 🙂