Week Five|Day Five
I suppose today I got lucky, because I didn’t lose any strength in these quads and hammies 🙂
- Barbell front squat: 3 x 8, 100 lb
- DB goblet squat: 3 x 10-12, 25 lb
- Linear leg press (hamstring foot placement): 3 x 8, 388 lb
- Smith machine narrow stance squats: 3 x 10-12, 75 lb
- Seated calf raise: 3 x 8, 100 lb
- DB plie squat: 3 x 10-12, 25 lb
- Seated DB curls: 3 x 8, 50 lb
- Weighted Dips: 3 x 8, 15 lb – this was easy 🙂
- Leg extension: 3 x 8, 60 lb
- Leg curls: 3 x 8, 60 lb
- Lying leg raises: 3 x 20 each leg
- EZ bar goodmorning: 3 x 10-12, 40 lb
The last set of Front Squats, I was ready to walk away because it was starting to feel heavy! >.< but I made it!
Most gyms will carry this machine, but I have seen them shaped seemingly different. The above video is of myself demonstrating how to use one (I did 4 x 20 at 180 lb) but of course depending on your goals and fitness level that could be different for everyone. Something I want EVERYONE to keep in mind during this exercise since so many people have gotten hurt utilizing this machine (because they did not use it properly) is DON’T LOCK YOUR KNEES! also, this machine weight DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BARBELL SQUAT IT! so many people assume because they can leg pres 500 lb they can then squat 500 lb — that is not how this works and you will harm yourself assuming otherwise. Please head to my warnings, if you want to see some videos of people who have broken bones during this exercise, let me know.. ha.
So now that I have the warnings out of the way, this exercise is actually a decent workout, now people with knee problems or issues this machine might not be for you (ask your medical doctor first) but I have known people with knee surgery, etc to utilize it afterwards (post their surgery after rehab) so don’t assume you will not ever be able to – anything is possible with a mindset of success. I personally use this machine as a superset and pyramid workout as well, I think it definitely is one that will leave your leg day worthwhile after doing so many reps and sets.
How does one use this machine/do this workout:
- Sit down at the machine and place legs on the platform in front of you. There are three stances you can use on this machine but I will be talking about the medium (shoulder width) foot stance.
- Lower the safety bars while pushing the platform all the way up until your legs are fully extended (without locking your knees)
- Inhale and lower the platform until your upper and lower legs make a 90 degree angle
- Push using the heels of your foot, and quads.. go back up to starting position.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions and be sure to remember to lock the safety pins again when finished.
What muscles are being worked?
- hip and torso for stabilization
Depending on foot placement on the platform you can isolate which muscles you want to work on more directly. I tend to like the variety this machine offers.
I would recommend this machine for beginners as well as intermediate athletes, because like I said it can be used as a superset, pyramid or even just a way to strengthen your leg muscles.
Do any of you not like using this machine?