Today was my first time using the smith machine for pistol squats,
I have been known to use DB’s and kettlebells and no weights, but using the smith machine was a good change to the workout. I used only the bar for the sake of the video (which was 25 lb) so not much weight but tons of reps, this particular video has me doing 10 reps. Overall, I did 4 x 10 each leg 🙂 Hope you enjoy and remember to sub to my YouTube channel! xo
Fitness Wonder Woman,
The above link is my demonstration of the kettlebell swing with a low weight and high reps.
Feel free to share, like, comment and follow and don’t forget to subscribe to the YouTube channel!
if you are interested in my blog post about this particular exercise, click here
I recorded an exercise today and decided that I would make it another workout blog post. For some of you who have been following my YouTube channel and Instagram, you have noticed I have been posting more workouts – which is my goal so that when I talk about a specific exercise, I can have my own video to show as an example. Hopefully you have all heard of this exercise before; “barbell shrugs”, if not, you have been missing out on the fun.
Lucky for you, I will be talking about barbell shrugs and you can use the above link as an example of how it is done or you can follow the steps below .. then at the end I will lend some helpful information, tips, and possibly share some thoughts on the exercise itself.
How to perform barbell shrugs:
- Stand up straight with feet shoulder width apart. Hold the barbell with two hands in front of you using a pronated grip (hands will be wider than shoulders width apart) some people may find using wrist straps helpful ( I don’t use them, but they can be used to help with your grip) This will be your starting position.
- Raise your shoulders up as far as you can go as you breathe our and hold the contraction for a few seconds. (Refrain from lifting using biceps)
- Return to starting position breathing in.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions
A few things to keep in mind…
- Start with a lower weight to make sure you have the form and technique down
- speak with a professional before starting this exercise if you have any conditions or prior injuries
- you may use dumbbells if you do not have a barbell available.
- make sure the movement is straight up and down – not to rotate the shoulders
- slow movements all the way through, no need to be a speed demon.
What muscles am I working on:
I personally like this exercise, I know some specialist and professionals have argued that this exercise can be more dangerous than helpful but I believe if done correctly, it can be beneficial.
Do you like this exercise? how much weight are you lifting for barbell shrugs? do you prefer to use dumbbells or the barbell for this exercise? want other ideas to help the traps grow? Don’t like this exercise, let me know why in the comment section.
Thanks for reading, be sure to follow, like, comment and share.
Warm up: 2 -3 minute step up with knee raise
- Barbell bench press: 4 x 2-5. 75 lb, 95 lb, 100 lb, 105 lb. ( 1 minute step ups)
- Incline DB press: 3 x 2-5. 75 lb, 85 lb. (1 minute DB clean – 30 lb)
- Decline smith press: 3 x 2-5, 85 lb. (1 minute running in place)
- Dips: 4 x 6-8. ( 1 minute kettlebell swings – 15 lb)
- Close grip barbell bench press: 4 x 2-5. 85 lb. (1 minute smith power clean – 85 lb)
- Cable crunch: 3 x 5-6. 65 lb. (1 minute quick step ups)
- smith machine hip thrust: 3 x 5-6. 25 lb. (1 minute bench step up)
This workout was focused on strength , which is why the reps are really low. The 1 minute exercises are to be done between each set (so this means no resting between sets). The cardio workout is meant to be done with lower weights, because you want to be able to do the workout for the whole minute without stopping (which is why you see a lower weight).
The last exercise, I did a lower weight because I am not used to that workout and wanted to get the form down for next time before adding more weight.
For more workouts, videos, and updates .. follow me on social media:
I also have a MyFitnessPal app, so if interested, you may add me on there as well. Thanks for reading, leave comments, likes, follows and reblog/share! I also want to share I did a PR in the cable crunch, went up 8 lb 😀
This is a video of me demonstrating Alternating Hammer curls using dumbbells.
Typically I like to use 30 lb dumbbells in each hand but for the sake of the video, went down in weights. It is important to pay attention to the form and to really contract those biceps during the lift.
Thanks for watching, be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Follow, like, share, and comment