In this video, I explain some changes and discuss how YouTube is not TOP priority in my life because I have other obligations and expectations that I want to fulfill in my life at the moment that are more important. I created this video in hopes it would explain what to expect from me and how I plan on going about things from this day forward so no one feels abandoned.
Happy Monday FitFam!
Finally January is coming to an end and the only reason I am happy about this is because finally I am not working another 60 hours in Feb. lol. which means I get TIME to actually get things done, the weather is getting closer to spring/summer and that excites me and because valentine’s is around the corner and this will give me a chance to drink wine.. lol.
Oh and I have a friend who has a birthday and I GUESS I will be celebrating it with her, so.. I mean Feb, seems like a good month besides having to pay rent. LOL.
So to kick it off on a Monday, I did a workout at the gym this morning (woke up on time) and got there when it wasn’t busy, yay! My workout today went fairly well, I made it a full body workout day, although I did more work on the legs because I haven’t had an actual leg day in awhile and that isn’t good because things seem to go away when you stop training muscles. Nothing was “too heavy” today, I wanted to stay within 60-70 percent of my 1RM for many exercises. I also thought I would announce, I LOST a fun 3 pounds! hahahaha. that is great, right? now I weigh 144 lb:) ( I am 5’8) , but with my weight loss came muscle loss, and not so fun, but that is alright, I will pump some iron and get it back in no time.
If you remember me talking about the “weird” man who watched me the last time I was the gym, well, he was there again today and this time, he was less creepy, or at least trying to conceal it.. so I wouldn’t notice. I suppose I am only worth watching when I am doing overhead presses of 50 plus pounds haha. — jk, but I was relieved he decided to not stop and stare today. He must only watch me on certain days of the week. LOL. Anywho, tomorrow is my last squat challenge day! YAY! so happy! it has been a blast (but that is for another blog post)
Anyways, don’t forget to sign-up for my squat challenge, by Feb 1st. 🙂
- Smith machine squats: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 8. 1 x 55lb, 1 x 75lb, 2 x 87 lb
- smith machine lunges: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 8. 1 x 15 lb, 1 x 35 lb, 2 x 55 lb
- Bench press (neutral grip): 4 x 8. 1 x 70 lb, 3 x 42 lb
- smith machine bentover rows: 4 x 8. 3 x 65 lb, 1 x 75 lb
- Cable kickback: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 8. 1 x 10 lb, 1 x 15 lb, 2 x 20 lb per leg. Superset with Curtsy lunge: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 8
- Cable curls: 4 x 8. 20 lb. Superset with Cable upright rows: 4 x 8. 20 lb
- Leg press: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 8. 1 x 70 lb, 1 x 90 lb, 2 x 110 lb
- leg extension: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 8. 2 x 70 lb, 2 x 90 lb
- pull ups: 4 x 8 (no assistance/ stopped at 6 and finished with the 2 each time)
- bodyweight squats: 240 reps (I will post the YouTube video next post)
Today’s workout was a longer than I anticipated but that is okay, I got through it and needed a longer workout to make up for the lack of days I missed because of my work schedule being so long. Hopefully all of you started your Monday off with some productivity! feel free to try out some of these exercises and share your workouts me in the comment section.
Your Fitness Blogger,
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day 🙂
It is apparent that Dr. Martin Luther King had a dream, one that he had hoped would happen with combating negativity with peace and love and not anger. Many of us were not born during the civil rights movement to know the kind of pain, the kind of “fight” black people had to put up, in order to find that equality, in order to call every nationality our brothers, our sisters. Many of us now are still fighting that fight in order to be accepted among other cultures and nationalities. People say they don’t judge, people say they only know of love, people say they don’t see color, but people show so much different sometimes. This blog post will discuss my fight, my obstacles, and how I managed to become the strong, independent, black woman I am today in a world full of so much hate, full of so much hurt, full of so much loss, full of so much tears and so much death.
For starters, I grew up in an all white community (Findlay, Ohio) but was born in Cincinnati Ohio. , being the only black female on my sports teams, my choir, my neighborhood, my school many times, and among my group of friends growing up. To me, it was normal, because I didn’t know anything else. I didn’t know what diversity really was because I was used to being in this small box, used to being the standout, used to being the dark face in a picture. I brought up and raised on love, acceptance and to be people’s friend because who they are and not because of how much money they had, what they looked like or because they chose to be different. My mom never taught hate, she never told me to be mean because they didn’t “look like me”, she wanted me to be polite to my elders and give respect to my teachers and make friends with people who bring positivity to my life and gave me a solid foundation to stand on my own when things got tough. The hardest thing for me was to stand on my own when things got tough & things did get tough for me, they sure did but don’t pity me, for what I am about to tell you is only to enlighten you on my life and give you my eyes for a day, my thoughts for a day and fears for a day. For none of this is worse than anyone else’s obstacles.
I believe my first bout with racism was when I was in 5th grade at Lincoln Elementary school in Findlay, Ohio. I was on the playground at recess, probably playing kickball or something and a school mate decided to call me “Nigger”, she was so sure of herself that she called me “nigger” more than once. I didn’t know what to do or say, I was not a confrontational child and I didn’t understand why someone would call me “nigger” when my mom always taught my brother and I to never say that word. In 5th grade you have an idea of what racism is, but because I was the only black kid in the school, I guess I thought it wouldn’t be such an issue since most of these kids I had knew since diapers. That same day, I cried. I felt defeated because while she was laughing at me and my weakness, I decided to do “the right thing” which was tell the principal, and my mom came to the school and in her mind I probably should have punched the chick in her face for being so damn ignorant but I didn’t. The principal dealt with it “accordingly” I suppose, she might have gotten suspended (I still remember her name, but will not mention for her sake). That same day I had to walk home and as I was walking home, her family and herself were in a vehicle and pulled up in front of me, to threaten me. Again, scared. I just allowed them to say whatever they had to say and waited for them to drive away before continuing home. This was my 1st bout with racism.
My second bout with racism was in 5th grade, but it was a little odd, some guy in my classes thought it would be funny to make jokes about black people and would say “nigger” repeatedly, not outloud for the teacher to hear but more like under his breath and in whispers.. and he would just say some really stupid things, that would make hardly any sense but for some reason he got off on that.. and I still til this day do not understand why – I don’t believe I ever told my mom about this incident nor a teacher but I wanted to many times because after awhile it just got unnerving and he was fucking annoying. I don’t think he was calling me a “nigger”, well I believe he did once but I ignored it, because after awhile you just get used to it, when someone makes it their mission to call you names that offend you because of your skin color. It hardly makes any fucking sense why his ass did this but he made it so it was an ongoing teasing game and I just ignored it all the time. Sometimes I wish I would have had the balls to punch him in the throat, I can only hope he has grown up since then.. or someone kicked his ass finally.
3rd bout with racism – 6th grade (middle school), I had a HUGE crush on this guy at school, for a while he didn’t know but man did I go “goo goo gaga” over him – he was like my ultimate crush, I swear I was all about him! haha. We weren’t friends but he was friends with some of my friends at the time, well one of my friends made it their mission to tell him that I had a crush on him because she knew him very well, and I didn’t really want her to tell him but at the same time I was like.. eh.. why not. I thought the most that would happen would be he reject me by saying he had no interest and then I would have to move on. WELL.. he rejected me alright but in one of the worse ways possible in order to make a point – which pissed me off and hurt me really bad. He said something about me being a dirty fence (referencing my color) and I was ugly and how he thought I was poop on a fence or something of that nature. I mean .. I guess when you have to choose between being called nigger, or being referenced as dirt on a fence or worse poop on a fence, you really don’t know which is worse; especially in a school where no one understood the hurt like I did, the way I did. He said it at the damn lunch table for everyone to hear too, which made me feel that much more beaten down. Some laughed and of course he laughed too, but I didn’t laugh. I didn’t find it funny at all. That made my self esteem really low.
My fourth bout with racism- Was in 7th grade, I played basketball and was on the basketball team, well I was the ONLY black girl on our basketball team. Which again didn’t bother me too much but I didn’t know very many people at this school, so it was different for me. In 6th grade I played basketball but my team didn’t give me shit about my race nor did the coach either. I actually was friends with some of the people on the team at the time and it made me more comfortable. Well 7th grade, I was kind of put on the spot multiple times. When a teacher is asking you what it is like to be in slavery and you don’t know the answer (and she replies with, how do you not know) .. or when the coach decides to not play you for the majority of the games even though you are good, or when someone references their tan comparing to your skin tone and making sly comments at you about “how they don’t wish to be that dark” and someone else telling them that they look black and they reply with “ew, no” ..
5th bout with racism- 8th grade, I had a coach’s assistant (classmate) throw salt in my hair in a bus so she could get a laugh at how the salt looked like bugs in “black people’s hair” – I don’t know.. I did nothing about it, again being a little bitch and wanting to fit in, I just let shit happen. My mom was pissed to say the least. I mean extremely pissed off. That probably made her blood pressure rise pissed off.
9th grade, being called a “black white girl” like sure this seems like it is okay, right? you would assume it is is okay, that people make this into a compliment. In their eyes, I was black in color but acted like a white girl (whatever this is supposed to mean) the ignorance was unreal.. and I not knowing any better or understanding just allowed people to make this reference, because they liked that I wasn’t the stereotypical black chick.. they liked that I was prim and proper and didn’t dress like I came from Compton, they adored that I had long hair and wore american eagle, they loved that my words made sense and all because of my color, I couldn’t be just Shay-lon, I had to be the “black white girl”.
10th and 11th grade. Mostly 10th though. By this time I had moved to Texas and attended a new school. It definitely was black people prominent but this didn’t make a difference because somehow I was still different in their eyes. The ignorance at this school was huge when it came to being a different kind of black .. god because I wasn’t raised in the hood and didn’t wear certain clothing or talk a certain way or walk a certain way or fuck all the black men in the school or because I didn’t have a HUGE ass or because my hair wasn’t fake and didn’t text like a gangsta or because I wasn’t a gang member or because I was wearing american eagle instead of baby phat jeans.. I mean seriously.. the ignorance was outrageous!!!! Black girls treated me like shit and for what reason? because I was different!!! my own fucking race.. had to talk down to me, make me feel inferior and make me feel unwanted in order to make a point about where I was from and who I was. The only love I got was when I was playing basketball, it was my outlet. Black guys were no better,, calling each other “nigga and negro” and me wondering why anyone would say that to another human being. I didn’t belong anywhere anymore.
12 grade I moved to Colorado and didn’t deal with very little to no racism and little to none ignorance. It was diverse and people were accepting of me at the school. I felt like I didn’t have to live in the unknown and didn’t have to question my level of worth because of who I was and what I looked like. It was a nice change.
When I moved back to Findlay, Ohio 4.5-5 years later. I transferred jobs and was the only black person working at the store after one black man was fired. I think for the most part I was treated decently, I don’t think people gave me too much of a hard time in that store when it came to race – at least not to my knowledge. When I got a second job in town, I had another bout with racism when a customer called me a “nigger”, and I was much older and much wiser, I gave this dude a piece of my mind and afterwards told my boss and started crying and was super pissed off. For the first time in my life, I stood up for myself – I was happy I did, because I was sick of being called something out of my name, sick of people thinking it is okay to do so and sick of letting it happen and not doing shit about it.
Since this time, my bouts have been slim to none. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen again, doesn’t mean my life was horrible, just means it took me a long time to finally accept me for me and it took me longer to stand up for myself. I have allowed things to happen because I was raised to love and raised to be respectful and raised to only fight when necessary and to be strong and be brave but many times over, I wasn’t brave and I wasn’t strong and I allowed people to make my race an issue, make my lifestyle an issue, make my clothes an issue, make me an issue. When the REAL issue was those people didn’t like me for me because they didn’t have the same kind of love in their hearts for others different than themselves. This was hard for me to write because it was long and it hit on things that angered me growing up. I know black people aren’t the only ones being bullied or called racist names, I know other cultures and nationalities get shitted on, but I am black and this is my story,
Martin Luther King Jr didn’t have a dream that we would abuse the word “nigga” and make it a thing for ONLY certain people to use but get mad when others start chiming in, he didn’t have a dream that our own race would turn their backs on one another because of how they looked or where they came from. His dream wasn’t to put down others who were different from ourselves, he didn’t have a dream that we would be in turmoil, he didn’t have a dream in hopes that racism, slavery, and hate would come full circle again. His dream aimed to unite people from different backgrounds, his dream was to get away from anger and hate and stem from love and peace, his dream was for people to see color but to not make light of it, his dream was for us to be BETTER people, to spread kindness, joy, love, equality, and give people a home no matter what race they were, feed them no what race they were, educate them no matter what race they are, and teach them about his dream and to practice what we preach. It’s too bad he isn’t alive now, because he would be proud to know that the world has gotten better since his death, but he would cry at the pain some still endure.
“I have decided to stick with love, hate is too great of a burden to bear” – Martin Luther King Jr.
It has been a long and grueling week, seems like I haven’t been on my blog in months but it has only been roughly 3 days and some odd minutes. I missed all of you and hope many of you had a beautiful Thanksgiving this year. My Thanksgiving went well and I did what I told everyone I would do and that is, I would eat accordingly and be watchful of my intake and I prevailed. It didn’t take me long to get full this Holiday, mostly because I had more meat (protein) on my plate than I had anything else and since I was eating that first, by the time I made it to the sides, I could hardly eat anymore. I had some cheesecake for desert but not much of it, I am not a HUGE fan for deserts, I know, I know.. weird. lol. I did workout on Thanksgiving at my house instead of at the gym because I wanted to stay indoors before getting ready for the celebration. I did some core exercises for the most part. The day before and the day after Thanksgiving, I was in the gym for my normal workouts. I didn’t take noteworthy Instagram pictures over Thanksgiving, I suppose I forgot to take pics of all the food and stuff.. sorry. I took some leftovers home and had leftovers for 2 days straight and that was gone, then yesterday my stomach ache came back to bite me in the ASS very hard.. and well work was painful and going home and crying myself to sleep was painful too, imagine a 24 year old yelling for their mother.. — that was me. lol. I don’t even live at home, so the chances of her reacting to my yell would be 0. I know why I was in pain (happens once a month- pms) and I need to see my Dr again, actually need to see a specialist this time, because I do not want to continue living this way. I mean I was vomiting up at work hella badly until my coworker shown up to relieve me and give me her meds and talk me through the pain.. I will just say driving home seemed like forever and falling asleep and breaking out in sweat.. wasn’t my favorite part about Sunday. I did have enough energy to watch the new episode of “The Walking Dead”, but didn’t watch the after show, because I was in so much pain after a while. I wasn’t sure if I would make it tot he gym this morning but I knew I had to try. John, met me at the gym this morning, I emailed his workout to him the night before. I was at the gym a hour before he got there to do my own thing. Thank goodness none of the workouts hurt me to the point of not wanting to workout, but walking on the treadmill I took very slowly at 3.6 speed and no incline because that is all my belly could handle. I stayed long enough to help John through his warm up, but left after discussing his workouts with him, hopefully tomorrow morning I will have the energy needed to stay the whole 2 hours.
- Knee to chest
- Side bends: 10lb dumbbell
- Treadmill: 25 minutes, 2.0 incline, 3.8 speed
- Treadmill: 25 minutes, 2.0 incline, 4.0 speed
- Crunch machine: 2 X 20
- Walk 2 laps around the gym
- Treadmill: 12 minutes, 3.6 speed, no incline
- Low pulley close-grip row: 4 X 15, dropsets: 15, 10, 10. I did 100lb
- Standing dumbbell hammer curl: 4 X 15. dropsets: 15, 10, 10. I did 20lb each arm
- Bentover one-arm dumbbell row: 4 X 15, dropsets: 15, 10, 10. I did 20lb per arm.
- Flutter kick on the bench: 4 X 20
- stability ball crunches (my gym doesn’t have stability balls) I used the machine: 4 X 20, 70lb
- Treadmill: 35 minutes, 3.6 speed, no incline
I should have done heavier with the bentover rows, because 20lb was nothing but I was trying to take it easy today. The hammer curls are no joke, I felt them for sure. I find doing them alternating is easier, I didn’t do alternating, I did it together. My low pulley row highest is 120 right now, but since I did dropsets; I didn’t want to increase my weight anymore than 5 lb & the weights go up by 20s. In case someone doesn’t know what it means, dropsets: for each subsequent set in which you see a drop in the number of reps, you’ll increase the weight by no than 5% or 5 pounds (this technique helps maximize muscular development). Overall, my workout went fine, no complaints for today, tomorrow is leg day.
I will be posting a #MondayMotivation YouTube video today, it will hopefully be short and to the point for the most part since I am not feeling so spunky, so keep an eye out for that.
Your Fitness blogger,
I wanted to keep everyone update on my life as far as my writing, work, goals, etc.
I have some good news I want to share with all of you and hopefully all of you will be just as excited to hear it.
- I spoke with a fellow fitness blogger and we are expecting to do a collaboration this month that should be finished by the end of October. It will have something to do with fitness/health & will definitely be worth the wait. It is very exciting. She reached out to me on social media and wanted to do something different and invited me to work with her on it, we spoke via phone and decided what we kind of want to do, and agreed on some topics and are in the making of creating something fun for our audience! Many of you probably already follow her blog, gojenbefit, if you don’t, take a look at it, she has some good content to offer 🙂
- I have not heard back from the editor as of yet, so it should be this week or next, I still have one more article due that needs done by the 27th, so pretty soon I will be working on that article. Busy, busy.
- I am still studying for my CPT exam, not fun but needs done so I am prepared.
- I have two guest bloggers who will soon be turning in their articles to me to be posted on my site. Be on the lookout for them, they will be awesome!
- I have not done my pitch yet for the editor of Muscle & Fitness magazine, but I am trying to make some time in doing that as well, since he did offer me to send him more, I will take advantage of this
- I have contacted a fellow blogger who many of you know and asked if he would allow me to do an interview and/or present a blog post to be featured on his page and he has gotten back with me on the idea and I believe next week we will be setting up an interview via skype. I am hoping it makes his radio talk show, that would be awesome, but if not, I still think it is awesome I get this opportunity! I am very nervous and excited all in one. Hopefully he doesn’t throw me any curve balls, LOL. I will and I am sure he will let everyone know when the video gets posted 😀 be on the lookout for that as well!
- I have been receiving many positive emails from some of you and I would like to say thank you! it is always awesome when I can wake up and read your emails! love it.
- Follow me on social media, if you would like, I am active on all of them (yeah I don’t know how I manage it either) lol. but love connecting with everyone in various ways.
- Thank you for the continued support on my Youtube videos, I know I can be a goof many times, but everything I tell you has some form of meaning to it. I do plan on making more videos besides on Monday’s but right now, my schedule is full most days, but I will let everyone know when I decide to add more videos and on what days. I am looking at starting “Topic Tuesdays” – yes I did make this clever idea up, lol so be on the lookout when I announce my first Topic Tuesday video.
- Finally, I want to let everyone know, I apologize if I don’t always get to your new post “on time” or if I don’t seem like I venture to your page often enough, I really honestly try to make it to your page with the time I do have, I am not the fastest reader in the world, so when I do venture.. reading each post takes me time and that is why sometimes I don’t make it back to your page for days or weeks at a time. In an event you want me to look at a particular post and leave feedback, let me know.. I don’t mind, I try to at least read and like what I like, if I don’t like it, I don’t pretend I do. LOL or I haven’t read it yet.
- If you want to be a guest post on my blog, you are more than welcome to contact me and give me the scoop in what you want to write and if I like it, cool, if not, we shall tweak it or I keep it real and tell ya it isn’t a good fit, but no worries I am very chill:) If you want me to pick out a topic for you, I do that too. it just means more work for me. LOL. Also, I can guest post for others, if you want me as a guest post or interview, contact me, and we can talk about it.
- As far as collaborations, if you want to collaborate with me on something, that is cool too! I am always open to work together on a project with people!
Don’t hold me accountable for this semi-long post, lol. My life isn’t all daisies, I just left out the disasters . haha.
Your fitness blogger,